After you get out of bed each morning, make your bed.
I know, you don’t want to. It takes extra effort at a time when you’re groggy and craving your caffeine fix.
However, let me make the case for it.
- Doing things when you don’t want to do them takes effort. However, it also builds discipline. It’s like working out at the gym – you strengthen your “muscle” of doing things that you don’t want to do.
- You’re starting the day with a positive intention – to be productive, to be disciplined, to get things done.
- It looks nicer. Every time you see your bed for the rest of the day, you’ll have a nicer view.
- Mess begets mess, order begets order. You might find yourself straightening, cleaning, moving other things too.
- You need to straighten out your sheets before you get back into bed the following night anyway. Why not do it now?
You don’t need to get all military on yourself, and tuck all the sheets in at the regulation 45 degree angle. Just straighten out the sheets and line up the pillows. Done.